An agent helps us choose policies for our needs. He could be called a sales agent. Clients include families as well as businesses.
Types of insurance include home, life, disability, health care insurance. Some agents sell financial products, such as variable annuities.
Insurance Agent Responsibilities
An agent must perform all of the following:
- Schedule appointments, control our needs, and market products.
- Close and open the sale with current prospective customers.
- Process renewals for customers.
- Provide customer support in a good manner.
- Build business relationships.
- Meet new business goals.
Many agents work for a specific insurance company and its products, while others do their job for a broker, and sell products and services from the top-rated insurance companies. Agents represent the top-rated companies and become familiar with other products from multiple suppliers as part of their job activity.
Insurance Agent Salary
An agent's salary is usually based on the level of experience, the area of expertise, certifications, and education.
- Median Annual Salary: $45,500 ($33.25 /hour)
- Top 20% Annual Salary: Less than $325,000 ($120/hour)
- Bottom 20% Annual Salary: More than $17,440 ($10/hour)
Education And Certification
The insurance worker position involves training requirements such as:
- License: Insurance agents are to be licensed. The agents must have licenses to sell health insurance, property and casualty insurance, auto insurance policies. In some states, agents must visit licensing courses and pass exams.
- Experience: Prior sales experience is required.
- Education: Customers prefer to hire insurance agents who have college degrees. They can consider hiring a high school graduate with proven sales ability.
Insurance Agent Skills
In addition to training, and licensing requirements, Insurance agents also need certain personal qualities.
- Listening Skills: An agent requires good listening skills.
- Ability To Sell: An insurance agent needs to be a self-starter to influence others.
- Enthusiasm: Insurance agents know about the role that financial products take place in our everyday lives.
- Verbal Communication: They must get information about the selling products and services.
- Reading Comprehension: The agents should be able to understand all the documents that describes insurance instruments.
- Computer Skills And IT Services: Insurance Agents must use various software, including Microsoft Office And Google Chrome, software for insurance quoting, and agency management software.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the job growth forecast for agents in the insurance segment is 15%.
Independent agents work for insurance companies. They are insurance agents employed by insurance agencies.